Enrolling to Vote
To vote in a local authority election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll.
How to enrol to vote
It’s quick and easy to enrol or update your details.
You can pick up an enrolment form from the Council's main building, from any PostShop or freetext your name and address to 3676. More information about enrolling to vote is available at www.elections.org.nz.
To check your enrolment or start the enrolment process you can:
You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:
- Are 18 years of age or older, and
- Are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
- Have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
- Have lived at your current address for more than 1 month
If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.
It’s quick and easy to enrol or update your details. To check your enrolment or start the enrolment process you can go to www.elections.org.nz/enrol or call 0800 36 76 56.
You can pick up an enrolment form from the Council's main building, from any PostShop or freetext your name and address to 3676. More information about enrolling to vote is available at http://www.elections.org.nz/.
Information about enrolling to vote in multiple languages is available online at www.elections.org.nz/languages.
You cannot enrol if:
- you are a New Zealand citizen who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last three years, or
- you are a permanent resident of New Zealand who has not been in New Zealand at all within the last 12 months.
There are other grounds for disqualification that affect a very small number of people. Registrars of Electors are notified of people covered by any such ground. A Registrar of Electors would contact any such person trying to enrol who appeared to be subject to disqualification, to discuss his/her qualification to enrol. However, if you have any questions or concerns about other grounds for disqualification, call 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56).
Change of Address
To change your address details on the residential roll you can:
- Complete the appropriate form at any PostShop
- Phone 0800ENROLNOW (0800 36 76 56)
- Go to the Elections New Zealand website
Enrol, check or update your enrolment details – Electoral Commission website
You are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:
- Are a registered parliamentary elector, and
- Are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll
or, if you:
- Are resident outside of Porirua city and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Porirua city.
If you are enrolled on the parliamentary roll in one local authority area and pay rates on a property in another, you may be eligible to apply for enrolment on the ratepayer roll (for the local authority area in which you pay rates but don’t reside).
Companies, organisations or societies paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (provided that both the person nominating and the nominee live outside the local authority area).
If you are unsure whether you qualify, phone 0508 08 10 16 (toll free).
Back to top