Nominations for Civic Awards
Each year we recognise amazing locals for their outstanding voluntary service in the Porirua community. Any significant contribution, service, activity or achievement may be nominated for a Civic Award.
- Nominations period: 28 March - 28 April 2017 - NOW CLOSED
- Recipients confirmed: late May 2017
- Awards function: 19 June 2017
How do I nominate someone?
Do you know someone who has contributed outstanding voluntary service in Porirua? Please consider submitting a nomination!
See below for the Civic Award Guidelines and Nomination Form.
Who is eligible for nomination?
- Any individual is eligible for nomination.
- Normally we would expect that the individual lives in Porirua and has contributed exceptional voluntary services over a number of years in the local community.
- The nature of service recognised by the Civic Awards is primarily expected to be in an unpaid (voluntary) capacity – but may include where paid services have been beyond the call of duty.
- Voluntary activities include (but are not limited to): community contribution of high impact in the fields of environment, recreation, children and youth activities, older adults, social services, educational services and cultural activities, as well as contributing to development of the city and putting Porirua City on the map.
- Acts of outstanding bravery or unselfishness, academic achievement and artistic achievement will also be considered.
- Nominations made in previous years are not automatically carried forward. You are free to make a fresh nomination for the same person in any subsequent year if you feel that you could include additional information.
Sporting achievements are not eligible for nomination, as these are already recognised through the Porirua Sports Awards later in the year.
Who can nominate?
- Nominations must be made by any two citizens of Porirua or two executive officers of any organisation located in Porirua.
- Both nominators will need to sign the nomination form.
What is the selection process?
- The Civic Awards are a contestable process. Up to a maximum of five residents are awarded each year.
- After nominations close, a subcommittee of Council meets to consider the nominations against the guideline criteria.
- The Awards are presented by the Mayor at a simple, private ceremony normally held in June each year.