This page describes the ANZAC Day commemorations held in Porirua City. ANZAC Day is commemorated on 25 April each year.
ANZAC Day observed on 25 April
ANZAC Day is observed in New Zealand as a day of commemoration for those who have died in the service of their country and to honour returned and service men and women. It is held on 25 April each year which is the anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in 1915. The first commemorative service was held on 25 April 1916 in remembrance of the 2,721 New Zealand soldiers who died during the eight month Gallipoli campaign. Since 1916 the ceremony has evolved to the observance we know today and acknowledges the sacrifice and service of subsequent wars and deployments of armed conflict which our service people have endured while serving their country.
In Porirua, commemorative services begin before dawn with a march by returned and service personnel at each of the RSA's to a local war memorial, where they are joined in the service by members of the community for the Dawn Service. Further services are conducted for members of the community to join in the commemorations mid morning. The timings and locations of each of these services are published annually in the local paper.
Services held in Porirua City
The normal services conducted are:
- Pukerua Bay: A service in the Pukerua Bay School Community Hall at 11.00 am and the laying of the wreath at Whenua Tapu Cemetery at 12.00 noon.
- Titahi Bay: Dawn Parade at 6.30 am and a service at the Whitehouse Road Cenotaph at 10.30am before the wreath laying at the Whitehouse Road Cenotaph.
- Porirua: The Dawn Service is held at the memorial outside the Porirua RNZRSA, in McKillop Street, at 6.00am. The main Civic Service for the City is held at the Peace Memorial in Te Rauparaha Park at 9.00am. In the event of inclement weather, the service is held under the Canopies in Cobham Court at 8.45am.
- Pauatahanui: A memorial service is conducted at St Alban's Church, Pauatahanui, commencing at 10.00am. After the service the wreath laying is conducted at the War Memorial in Pauatahanui.
- Takapuwahia: A service is held at the Takapuwahia marae at 10.30am.
- Whenua Tapu: A wreath laying service is conducted at 12.00 noon for all RSA's and Councils in the Porirua basin from Johnsonville to Pukerua Bay.
- Whitby: A service will be conducted at St Mary's Church, Discovery Drive, Whitby commencing at 10.30 am.
View of Porirua City's Peace Memorial showing
floral tributes laid on ANZAC Day 2012.
Link to more information