Sports Grounds Status
This page has a link to the Porirua Sports Grounds Updates website, which lists the status of Porirua City Council sports grounds - whether they are open or closed, and any notes about their condition or use.
- The website is updated daily on business days by 12.30 pm.
- No weekend updates are made.
For cancellations and ground transfers please listen to Newstalk ZB cancellations
The information on this website regarding the status of the Council's sports grounds is also available on the freephone 24 hour Sports InfoLine 0800 237 150.
Website wins awards
The Association of Local Government Information Managers have recognised the Sports Ground Status website as award-winning.
At its annual conference on 22 November 2011, the Porirua City Council Updates website was:
- awarded 3rd place in the annual Innovation Awards
- supreme winner for Excellence in Information Management
Information about Sports Grounds Updates website
The Sports Grounds Update page is one of the most popular pages on the Porirua City Council website, especially during the winter season.
The Sports Grounds Updates website has been designed with the following aims:
- to provide fast accurate information, accessible from desktop computers and mobile devices, whenever the status of a field has changed, eg from Open to Closed, or Closed to Open, along with any relevant notes
- you can subscribe to receive updates by RSS feed, email, or text in to receive a reply with the latest information (texts cost 50c)
- you can view a map of the location of the sports ground and the fields on the park
- you can get driving instructions from your address to a specific park
Subscribing and unsubscribing
RSS Feeds: you can subscribe by RSS feed to receive the latest updates directly into your internet browser
Texting: you can text the park name to 8808 to receive an automated reply with the latest information (texts cost 50 cents)
Email: you can subscribe to receive an email when the status of any park has changed. You will need to confirm your email before this activates.
How our Maps work
We have brought together two different technologies to produce our maps.
Using our GIS data, we have added a Google mashup showing the layout of the fields on each park. You just need to click on each field to see a popup window with the name of the field.
You can also get driving instructions from your address to a specific park by clicking in the green boundary of the park, and typing in your address in the popup window.
Unfortunately limitations in Google map functionality prevents us from labelling on screen each field at this stage, but we're hoping Google will add this functionality soon so you can see the name of the field without having to click on it to find out.
Feedback is welcome
We're keen to get your feedback on this website, so we can continually make improvements. Just email email@example.com with your comments, and include your contact details if you wish to be contacted to discuss further. Or use the feedback widget on the website.
The Sports Grounds Update website was designed and developed by Leftfield Interactive Ltd of Wellington, for the Porirua City Council's Works Operations Unit.