Cobham Court Area
The Cobham Court area is currently the main focus for city centre revitalisation.
City Centre improvements
The Council has approved the next stage of improvements to the city centre as a part of the revitalisation project.
The project includes a new children's play area, water feature, shade, shelter and landscaping in Cobham Court and Hartham Place, a new public space in Cobham Court and enhanced pedestrian access to the streamside through Ferry Place.
The project will be broken down into two stages.
The first stage will focus on Hartham Place and Cobham Court, focusing on the children's play area, water feature, new paving, seating, lighting and other street furniture.
The second stage will focus on further landscaping Cobham Court and the enhancement of Ferry Place linking the streamside and railway station improving pedestrian access around the city.
New designs for Porirua's city centre
An overview of what Cobham Court through to Ferry Place could look like
Artists impression of Ferry Place
Artists impression of the water feature on Hartham Place
Artists impression of the entrance to Ferry Lane
Artists impression of the playground on Hartham Place
Artists impression of the playground on Hartham Place from an alternative angle
A new public space for Cobham Court
We all know a vibrant town centre is a key factor in encouraging economic development and growth for Porirua City and we are working across a number of areas to achieve this including the physical environment.
Stage 1 of the physical public space improvements was completed earlier this year. This work was very successful and has attracted people into the centre.
The next stages will build on this success by enhancing the city centre and creating the canvas on which the city will grow and develop.
View from the east looking towards the Kiosk and seating area.
View from Hagley Street showing grassed and parking areas.
Other projects that the Council would like to see developed as part of a programme of longer-term improvements for the city centre include:
- A new children’s play area, wet area, shade, shelter and landscaping in Cobham Court and Hartham Place North
- A new public space on 8 Cobham Court and enhanced pedestrian access to the streamside through Ferry Place
- Reconfiguration of Serlby Place to create a shared vehicle/pedestrian space with pedestrian priority
- Improvement of pedestrian connections to the stream and provisions of green spaces as a continuation of the streamside area
- Reconfiguration of space around Lydney Place North car park and the creation of green space on Lyttelton Ave around the bus stops
- Incorporation of artwork within new spaces
- Reconfiguration of Lyttelton Ave and Norrie St intersection to replace the roundabout with traffic signals thereby narrowing the intersection and making better provision for pedestrians
- New wayfinding in the city centre.