Signpost stories of Plimmerton
"History is the science of what never happens twice."
- Paul Valery.
Signpost Stories was an exhibition at Pataka Museum from October 2004 to January 2005 which explored the history behind, and the meanings of the names of the streets, avenues, lanes and groves of Porirua City. Follow this link to find out more information about Pataka's Signpost Stories Exhibition.
Plimmerton signpost stories
Airlie Road - named by George Troup after the family seat of the Ogilvie's of Airlie. This road was originally known as Pukerua Road. It was changed to Airlie Road on 19th January 1961.
Bath Street - named by John Plimmer after the spa town in England.
Beach Road - This road leads to the beach.
Cedric Place - named after Cedric Jack Tse, 1928-1988. In 1956 he was a civil engineer with the Ministry of Works working on the construction of the Wellington Airport, then in 1960 he was appointed chief engineer with Wright Stephenson & Co (later Fletcher Challenge) managing many land developments and construction projects. Cedric Tse founded the Tse Group in 1965.
Cedric Jack Tse, 1928-1988
(Photo: Courtesy of Patricia Tse)
Cluny Road - named after George Troup, owner and developer of 365 acres of land at Plimmerton after the family seat of the Gordon clan who were his father's forebears.
Corlett Road - Edmund Murray Corlett was a flight-sergeant from Plimmerton who was killed in WWII when returning from a raid over Italy.
Firth Road - named after Roy Firth, a county council roadman from Plimmerton.
Gordon Road - named by George Troup after the Gordon clan of Cluny in Scotland.
Grays Road - Named after the Gray family. Originally named the Plimmerton-Pauatahanui Road.
James Street - Named after James Walker, who farmed in the area. For more information about James Walker see the history of Paremata, Papakowhai and Mana.
Mervyn Place - Believed to be the name of the Managing Director of the building company which built houses in the subdivision.
Motuhara Road - Named after a Maori land block.
Moana Road - Moana: sea
Ogilvy Terrace - named after Lady Ogilvie from whom George Troup's mother Jean was descended. In 1640 Lady Ogilvie became a legend for her defiance of the Duke of Argyll's forces.
Plimmerton Drive -Self-explanatory.
Queens Avenue -Possibly named in recognition of Queen Elizabeth II.
Reserve Road - leads to one of Plimmerton's oldest reserves.
Roy's Road - after Roy Mulhern, owner of the land that was developed late 1950s-early 1960s.
St Andrews Road - James Walker, who farmed in the area, came from St. Andrews in Scotland.
School Road - This road leads to the school.
South Beach Road - This road follows the beach to the south.
Steyne Avenue - Probably named by John Plimmer after The Steyne (pronounced Steen) which was the social centre of Regency Brighton on England's south coast.
Sunset Parade - Self-explanatory.
Taupo Crescent - Named after Taupo pa (subsequently a Maori land block).
View of Taupo Kainga from the Taua Tapu (Pukerua) Track.
Image: Pataka Museum Collection.
- This was probably part of Pukerua Track (also known as Troup’s Track) which ran from Paremata Bridge to Pukerua Beach. It was originally only a bridle track, made before Paekakariki Hill Road and the railway were formed.
Toup's Road - George Troup was Mayor of Wellington and NZ Railways architect. He designed Dunedin's Railway Station and was subsequently nicknamed Gingerbread George. He designed and had a stone house built for himself in Motuhara Road and also designed Somme House in Karehana Bay for his brother-in-law Charles Moore. Troup was eventually knighted.
Ulric Street - named after Sir Clifford Ulric Plimmer (1905-1988), chair of Wright Stephenson & Co and friend and colleague of Jack Tse who developed the Plimmerton estate. Plimmer developed the pastoral company Wright Stephenson and Co and held many outside directorships.
Camborne Signpost Stories
Arapawa Place – Arapawa Island in the Marlborough Sounds.
Family of James Gray.
Photo: Pataka Museum Collection, at Porirua Library ref P.2.231.
James Gray arrived in New Zealand in 1856 and farmed land on the northern shore of the Pauatahanui Inlet. His descendants have farmed there ever since. The road was named in 1952 after the death of Jim Gray.
Lagden Street - John Alfred Lagden was a foundation member of the Plimmerton Fire Brigade and chief fire officer for 18 years. He lived in Plimmerton for 40 years.
Mervyn Place – believed to be named after a director of the company that developed the area.
Paua Place - Paua, shellfish.
Pope Street - William George Pope, (known as Bob) was a Hutt County councillor and chairman, first chairman of the Porirua Licensing Trust, member of the Mana College Board of Governors and of the Wellington Trotting Club.
Image: Pataka Museum Collection.
Taupo Crescent named after the Ngati Toa kainga (settlement) that was located in the area of Queen’s Avenue, Plimmerton.
Westridge - It was named this as the road is on the most western ridge of Camborne.
All the other street names are after places in Cornwall, England.
- Bodmin Terrace
- Padstow Place
- Pendeen Place
- Penryn Drive
- Pendennis Point
- Pensilva Close
- Polperro Place
- St Austell Close
- St Ives Drive
- Tregear Place
- Tregony Place
- Tremaine Place
- Trispen Place
- Truro Road
Continue to Historic Images of Plimmerton or return to Plimmerton.