This page explains the requirements to display, sell or promote goods or services or conduct any street appeal, survey or promotional activity in a public place in Porirua City.
A Council permit is required to display or promote goods, products or services for sale in any public place.
A permit is required regardless of where the point of sale is located.
- In the case of an existing business the display must be located up against the front wall of that business premises and may not protrude further than 1.5 metres out onto the public place from the property frontage.
- It cannot exceed 50% of the total width of your premise frontage in size and cannot include any hazardous substance or any other thing that may endanger public safety
- The display and all furniture and equipment must be completely removed from the public area at the close of business each day.
- The display and/or accompanying signage or promotional activity cannot include any obscene, indecent or offensive language or behaviour or anything likely to cause offence to or bring any person, culture, religion or organisation into disrepute or ridicule.
All furniture, stands, racks, tables, and equipment must be of a professional standard and be of a safe and robust construction.
Council officers may remove and impound unauthorised displays.
Permits and fees
Complete the Application for Permit to Display Goods for Sale and submit for approval along with the required fee. Your permit will be mailed out to you.
Temporary non-food stalls, displays and promotions
Temporary stalls set up to conduct surveys or sell, display, advertise or promote goods or services (other than food) require a Temporary Non-Food Stall permit.
- Motor vehicles, trailers, caravans or mobile shops (non-food).
- Trestles, tables, stands, racks or other devices.
- Situations where there is no physical stall and a person or persons who stand in one location or walks around in the public area to canvass, survey or address passers-by.
The use of these stalls and displays is restricted to local community and charitable organisations.
Food cannot be sold on these stalls.
A community organisation is a recognised club or a cultural, charitable, health, educational, religious, community, sports or advisory group that is based in and carries out their activities principally in Porirua City.
The operation of street stalls is restricted to the location, day or days and times specified in the permit.
Your permit must be produced for inspection when required by a Police or authorised Council Officer.
Council officers may remove and impound unauthorised stalls and displays.
Conditions for Stalls
Your stall permit will be issued subject to compliance with the following conditions:
- The stall must be used only for the purpose and on the day and during the times authorised by the permit.
- The stall and/or any accompanying display or signage cannot include any obscene, indecent or offensive language or behaviour or anything likely to cause offence to or bring any person, culture, religion or organisation into disrepute or ridicule.
- The stall may be set up only on paved public pedestrian areas and cannot reduce the useable footpath to less than 75% of the footpath width taking into account trees, gardens or street furniture.
- Pedestrian and road traffic cannot be obstructed.
- Access to neighbouring shops or other premises cannot be impeded.
- The use of loud hailers and/or amplified sound systems will not be approved.
- The pasting or other attachment of posters, placards and signs to any building, pole, light standard, fence, rubbish receptacle or other structure is prohibited
- All furniture and equipment used for a stall must be of a reasonable standard of design, construction and appearance.
- The stall site must be left in a clean and tidy condition with all signage, furniture and equipment and rubbish removed.
- You must have your permit on site with you and produce it for inspection when requested by a Police or authorised Council Officer.
- All directions given by a Police or authorised Council Officer must be immediately complied with even if this means your stall must close.
- Council may revoke permits at any time.
When you obtain your permit, you will need to pay the required fee "to expose goods for sale".
Links to more street selling information
Porirua City Council links: