Working in the Road Corridor

Link to BeforeUDig website.This page describes how to obtain Council permission to excavate in the Road Corridor, and how to obtain a Corridor Access Request (C.A.R.).

Council permission required to excavate in the road corridor

Undertaking any excavation work in the road corridor requires Council permission, in the form of a Corridor Access Request (C.A.R.).

Applications for a C.A.R. are made through the BeforeUdig Website. This will also ensure that any underground service location plans from the Utility Operators e.g. power, gas, water, sewer, stormwater, telecommunications, which must not be damaged, are sent directly to the applicant or contractor.

Please note that a Temporary Traffic Management plan (TTMP) must be included with the C.A.R. application.

The Road Corridor is by definition, all the land from property boundary to property boundary, including the footpath, berm, carriageway and accessways vested in the Council.

Typical cross section of Road Corridor.
Diagram showing typical cross section of the Road Corridor. Click the image to view a larger printable diagram.

Typical Cross Section

“The Code of Practice for Utility Operators’ Access to Transport Corridors”, (Working in the Road Corridor) applies to all excavation works in the Road Corridor - see New Zealand Utilities Advisory Group (NZUAG) (below).

All other works/activities within the Examples of activities requiring a TTMP include: Road Corridor, which do not involve excavation work, also require a Temporary Traffic Management Plan (TTMP).

  • Construction Loading Zones
  • Crane Lifting Equipment
  • Event and Parades – that affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
  • Activities outside the road corridor, such as sporting events, which affect the normal operating conditions of the road.

Other Information

External Websites


If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the us by phoning (04) 237 5089 – ask for the Road Protection Team or email