Enforcement of Resource Consent conditions
This page provides information on the enforcement of Resource Consent conditions under the Resource Management Act 1991.
The holder of a Resource Consent is responsible for compliance with the consent conditions.
Council Monitoring and Enforcement Officers monitor and enforce:
- The Resource Management Act 1991.
- The Porirua City District Plan.
- Resource Consent conditions.
Council’s enforcement options where breaches of the legislation, Porirua City District Plan and Resource Consent conditions occur include:
- Issuing an Infringement Notice, Abatement Notice or Enforcement Order under the Resource Management Act 1991.
- Initiating prosecution in the District Court.
- Referring the matter to the Environment Court.
In the case of District Court prosecutions the Court may impose a sentence upon conviction as follows:
- A fine not exceeding $100,000 and/or a term of imprisonment not exceeding two years upon conviction; and
- A further fine not exceeding $10,000 per day for each day on which an offence continues.
- Court costs and payment of costs incurred by Council in taking the action.
You may report suspected breaches of the legislation, Porirua City District Plan and Resource Consent conditions by calling Council’s Customer Services Centre on (04) 237 5089.
If the problem is ongoing record details such as dates, times and description of what occurred and the persons involved when it occurs.
Links to more resource consent information
Porirua City Council links: