Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE)
This page provides information on the Assessment of Environmental Effects reports required with each Resource Consent application.
AEE reports are required for all Resource Consent applications
Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) reports must be provided with all Resource Consent applications unless specifically exempted by the Porirua City District Plan.
The purpose of the report is to:
- Provide a clear understanding of the environmental effects of your proposal.
- Acknowledge and address the views and concerns of affected persons and other interested persons.
- Identify alternative ways to avoid, remedy or mitigate adverse environmental effects.
- Bring about a viable proposal design.
An environmental effect is any positive or adverse effect whether temporary, permanent, past, present or future.
Environmental effects cover a wide range of activities
Under the legislation environmental effects includes just about every type of activity that will impact on the environment including:
- Noise and vibration.
- Discharge to air, water and environment.
- Emission of contaminants.
- Visual effects particularly where they are negative.
- Overshadowing other properties.
- Increased traffic flow.
- Reduction of privacy.
AEE reports must be prepared in the proper form
You may prepare your AEE report yourself or use a qualified consultant to do it for you. Note: Large-scale projects do require professional input.
If multiple Resource Consents are required, one AEE report may be prepared provided it covers the whole project and all applications to be made.
The report guidelines are set out in detail in Schedule 4 to the Resource Management Act 1991.
More information on this is available from the Ministry for the Environment or by calling or visiting Council's Customer Services Centre (Ph: 04 237 5089).
Links to more resource management information
Porirua City Council links: