Resource Consents

This page provides general information on the Resource Consent requirements under the Resource Management Act 1991.

The Resource Management Act 1991 provides the legal framework under which New Zealand’s environment is managed. The purpose of the Act is to promote the sustainable management of natural and physical resources.

The Ministry for the Environment administers the Act nationally. Local Councils manage it within their territorial districts using District Plans and the Resource Consent process.

Porirua City District Plan

The Porirua City District Plan provides for change, development and use of the environment, while protecting and safeguarding it for future generations.

It sets a framework of rights for use of the environment and imposes obligations to protect it by:

  • Zonings
  • Noise limitations
  • Site coverage limitations
  • Height restrictions
  • Heritage requirements

Council’s Resource Consents Business Unit administers the plan.

Types of Resource Consents

The Resource Management Act 1991 provides for five separate types of Resource Consent. Porirua City Council issues only two covering land use and subdivisions.

Greater Wellington Regional Council issues the other three:

  • Discharges to air land and water.
  • Coastal Permits for coastal and marine area activities.
  • Water Permit for activities relating to the taking of water from streams or bores, the use or diversion of rivers, streams, waterways or lakes.

For more information on those Resource Consents, contact Greater Wellington Regional Council.

Resource Consents do not authorise building work

Confusion often arises about the purpose of Resource and Building Consents. They are two separate legal processes each with their own application, procedures and approval processes.

For projects involving subdivision or land development with building work you require Resource Consent approval for the overall activity and Building Consent approval for the building work.

Resource Consents requirements

All consents required must be obtained before you start site work.

Resource Consent approval is required to:

  • Construct new buildings or alter existing ones.
  • Relocate buildings.
  • Build a bridge over a stream or other watercourses.
  • Discharge to air, land and water.
  • Take, use, dam or divert water.
  • Clear timber forests, plantations or significant areas of vegetation.
  • Display signs exceeding 1.8 metres in height above ground level or 2 square metres in surface area or any roof, wall or verandah mounted sign.
  • Display third party signs i.e. signs advertising a business or activity not related to the property on which they are located.
  • Subdivide land or buildings for separate titles and ownership i.e. new lots or sections (fee simple), unit title, flat plans (cross-lease) or company lease.
  • Changing the use of land or buildings.

Resource Consent approval may be required for the operation of home based businesses referred to in the Porirua City District Plan as "home occupation":

  • Secretarial services.
  • Hairdressing.
  • Professional services i.e. architects, solicitors, accountants etc.
  • Any other business where motor vehicles, machinery or equipment will be parked or stored on or adjacent to a residential property.

Applying for a Resource Consent

If you are applying to Porirua City Council for your resource consent, you can lodge your application:

  • with the Customer Services Centre (front counter administration building);
  • by mail.

Links to more resource consent information


Porirua City Council links

External Links: