Recycling - More Options
This page outlines some of the other recycling and resource recovery options available in Porirua and the greater Wellington region.
Donations of unwanted household items
Household items such as clothing, linen, toys and working small appliances can be dropped off at one of the Kiwi Community Assistance donation bins. Items will be collected by KCA volunteers and donated to local charities.
To find a location that suits you visit the Kiwi Community Assistance website.
There are several businesses in the Wellington region that accept or collect old computers and electronics.
Charges can apply and will vary depending on the volume and type of waste you have.
Please check their websites or phone to confirm that what you want to dispose of is accepted, operating hours and if there are any charges.
Free for some household items, charges apply for computer monitors and CRT televisions.
Fridge/freezers not accepted.
22 Eastern Hutt Road, Wingate, Lower Hutt
Phone: (04) 567 7111
Unit 7, 101 Gracefield Road, Lower Hutt
Phone: (04) 589 6293
Unit 3, 6 Cashew Street, Grenada North, Wellington
Phone: (04) 237 4910
5 - 7 Meachen Street, Seaview, Lower Hutt
Used oil and car batteries
Spicer Landfill will also take used vehicle oil, batteries and gas bottles (conditions apply).
The following companies provide special services to garages and the automotive industry:
- Thurline Transport,190 Gracefield Road, Gracefield (used oil) - Phone (04) 568 2185 or 0800 732 953. Please phone first.
- Exide Technologies (car batteries), 51-57 Waione Street, Petone, Lower Hutt – Phone (04) 568 4269
- Barry & Mexted (car batteries), 2 Wall Place, Porirua – Phone (04) 232 4067
- Macauley Metals (car batteries), 45 Seaview Road, Lower Hutt - Phone (04) 568 6507
Clean vehicle bodies are accepted at Spicer Landfill, Porirua for a fee. If the vehicle has rubbish in it, the cost is increased.
A number of businesses in the Porirua region also accept vehicles, including -
- Porirua Auto Dismantlers, 3/11 Raiha Street, Porirua – Phone (04) 237 5539
- Selective Autoparts Ltd, 6 Kapuni Grove, Porirua – Phone (04) 238 2292 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dealers may pay for scrap metal; however this is subject to demand.
The following businesses in the Wellington region accept scrap metal:
- AKB Ingot Metals, 37 Raiha Street - Phone (04) 237 5322
- Wellington Scrap Metals, Tyers Road Ngauranga Gorge - Phone (04) 473 9277. Collection service available.
- Macauley Metals, 45 Seaview Road, Lower Hutt - Phone (04) 589 2222
- Cartridge World Porirua, 7 Hartham Place South, refills cartridges while you wait at about half the cost of new ones. Phone (04) 238 1575.
- Warehouse Stationery, 5 Semple Street, Porirua, accepts cartridges for recycling (but not refilling). Phone (04) 238 9415
Re-usable paint and clean paint cans
The Resene Colour Shop on Lyttelton Ave, Porirua accepts useable leftover Resene paint as part of Resene’s PaintWise scheme (conditions apply). The paint is given to community groups free of charge.
Clean and empty metal paint cans up to 4 litres can be put out for the household recycling collection.
Second Life Plastics in Otaki also offer a collection service for a variety of plastic types. Phone (06) 364 5152.
Fluorescent Lighting, CFLs and ECO light bulbs
Interwaste, located in Porirua, provides a recycling service for these products. You can purchase pre-paid postage boxes from Interwaste, in which you can send back to them to be recycled. Phone (04) 237 6982.
On-Farm Waste and the Agrecovery Rural Recycling Programme
The AgRecovery Rural Recycling Programme provides New Zealand’s primary sector with responsible and sustainable systems for the recovery and recycling of persistent “on-farm” waste products.
More information on reducing waste
Porirua City Council pages
Legislation and Policy
Waste forms and information fliers
Local Waste Minimisation Organisations
National Waste Minimisation Organisations