This section describes the method of rating in Porirua City, how to pay your rates, and the rebates available.
Rates fund activities of Council
Rates are the major funding source for the activities carried out each year by the Porirua City Council. See the 'Rates Funded Activities' page for further information about what the rates are used for.
Porirua City Council collects rates on behalf of the Greater Wellington Regional Council (Greater Wellington). These rates are set and levied by Greater Wellington. Such combined collection arrangements are more cost efficient and convenient for ratepayers.
You will receive a separate assessment notice for both the Porirua City Council and Greater Wellington at the start of each rating year. A combined rates invoice will be sent for each instalment showing the amount due for both the Porirua City Council and Greater Wellington. Each invoice will clearly show where and when payment is due.
Further information can be found on Greater Wellington's website, including the 10-Year Plan (select the "Plans and Publications" link).
Rates Assessment Notices
Each year you will receive one rates assessment notice from Porirua City Council, and one rates assessment notice from Greater Wellington Regional Council. They are for your information only and no payment is required on the assessment notice.
Porirua City Council sends out five instalment invoices at two month intervals from August each year, which include both Porirua City Council rates and Greater Wellington Regional Council rates. Each invoice is for 1/5th of the total year's rates. (See the 'Rates Instalments' link below for due dates.)
System of Rating
Porirua City Council assesses two types of rates:
- general rates
- targeted rates
General rates are based on land use and location (i.e. residential, commercial or rural) and are assessed on the capital value of the property or rating unit. They are charged at a specific rate in the dollar on the capital value of the rating unit, according to the category in which the property lies. Council contracted Quotable Value New Zealand Limited to determine the capital value of each rating unit. The latest revaluation was carried out as at 1 September 2010. See the Property Valuations page (link below) for further information.
Different levels of rates are applied to the residential, business, and rural sectors and sub-sectors within them. The current differential categories in Porirua City are:
||01 - Residential and Other
||13 - Business
15 - Motels
16 - Shopping Plazas
||18 - Rural
More details on the make up of the rating categories can be found in the Funding Impact Statement (see the link below) which is found in the Long Term Council Community Plan.
Targeted rates are assessed to fund specific services Council provides. These include water supply, sewerage disposal, kerbside recycling collection, city centre development and city centre walkways. Only those rating units that receive or are capable of receiving these services are charged these rates.
Uniform Annual General Charge
The Uniform Annual General Charge (UAGC) is calculated as one fixed amount per rating unit. The UAGC is for general purposes of the local authority.
Rates may be paid by the following methods:
- "Easy Pay" Direct Debit – Payments are automatically deducted from your bank account either weekly, fortnightly, monthly or by instalment.
- By mail – post your cheque and the payment slip from the bottom of the instalment notice to PO Box 50-218, Porirua 5240 to arrive before the due date. DO NOT POST CASH.
- Telephone banking – ask your bank to set up PCC Rates as a payee. You must quote your rate account number.
- Internet banking – Set up Porirua City Council as a Bill Payment option with your rate account number as the reference. Visit your bank's website for more information.
- In person - at the Council's Administration Building at Cobham Court in Porirua, or at any NZ Post Shop (see link below). You can pay by cash, cheque, or EFT-POS
- By Credit Card via Porirua City Council online credit card payment facility.
For detailed information, see the Rates Payment Methods page (follow the link below).
Government funded rebates are available for low-income families to assist with paying residential rates (follow the link below).
Links to more information
Porirua City Council:
- Valuation matters - Contact Quotable Value NZ Ltd, Wellington, on 0800 787 284
- Policy enquiries - Contact Greater Wellington on (04) 384 5708 or email email@example.com
- Rating enquiries - Contact the Porirua City Council on (04) 237 5089 or email firstname.lastname@example.org