Community Emergency Water Supplies
This page describes the community emergency water supplies located in Porirua, and when they are used.
Water tank storage
Porirua City Council has 65 emergency water tanks located around the city which are connected to the downpipe of various buildings, such as schools and churches. These tanks store 25,000 litres of water. There are also 5 sites with 5,000 litre tanks. In total, there is about 1.5 million litres of water available from these tanks.
These tanks are designed to be used in an emergency situation when the regular water supply is affected. There are trained operators with the right equipment to access the water when it is required.
If water from these tanks is required, the public will be informed about what they will need to do to obtain water from these sources.
- Aotea College, Okowai Road, Aotea
- Adventure School, 18 Longitude Place, Whitby
- Brandon Intermediate, 32 Driver Crescent, Cannons Creek
- Cannons Creek School, 27 Warspite Avenue, Porirua
- Discovery School, 2 Pullen Lane, Whitby
- Glen View School, 106 Bedford Street, Cannons Creek
- Hongoeka Marae, 18 Hongoeka Bay Road, Plimmerton
- Lakeside Baptist Church, Discovery Drive, Whitby
- Mana College, 22-28 Awarua Street, Elsdon
- Mana Squash Club, 6C Pascoe Avenue, Mana
- Maraeroa School, 47 Driver Crescent, Cannons Creek
- Maraeroa Kindy, 36 Astrolabe Street, Cannons Creek
- Masonic Hall (Windana), 9 McKillop Street, Porirua
- Ngatitoa Hall, 6H Pascoe Avenue, Mana
- Ngatitoa School, 44 Piko Street, Titahi Bay
- NZ Kennel Club, 11 Prosser St, Porirua
- Onepoto Indoor Bowls, Onepoto Road, Titahi Bay
- Papakowhai School, 17 Spey Place, Papakowhai
- Paremata School, 43 Paremata Crescent, Paremata
- Pauatahanui School, Paekakariki Hill Road, Pauatahanui
- Plimmerton School, 11 School Road, Plimmerton
- Porirua Ambulance Station, 8 Awatea Street, Porirua
- Porirua City Council Depot, 15 Prosser Street, Porirua
- Porirua College, 64 Driver Crescent, Cannons Creek
- Porirua East School, 8 Martin Street, Porirua
- Porirua Fire Station, 10 Mungavin Avenue, Ranui
- Porirua School, 1 Awarua Street, Elsdon
- Postgate School, 3 Staithes Drive North, Whitby
- Pukerua Bay Library, 6A Wairaka Road, Pukerua Bay
- Pukerua Bay School, 89 Rawhiti Road, Pukerua Bay
- Rangikura School, 95 Conclusion Street, Ascot Park
- Russell School, 18 Fantame Street, Cannons Creek
- St Theresa’s School, James Street Plimmerton
- St Pius X School, 8C Tuki Street, Titahi Bay
- Tairangi School, 3 Omapere Street, Ascot Park
- Te Kura Maori, 392 Warspite Avenue, Waitangirua
- The Anchor Church Hall, 1 Joseph Banks Drive, Whitby
- Titahi Bay Fire Station, 5 Te Pene Avenue, Titahi Bay
- Titahi Bay Intermediate, 16 Kahutea Terrace, Titahi Bay
- Titahi Bay North School, 11A Kura Street, Titahi Bay
- Viard College, 20 Kenepuru Drive, Porirua
- Wellington Cricket Club, 6J Pascoe Avenue, Mana
- Windley School, 146 Mungavin Avenue, Porirua
Reservoir water storage
Porirua City also has 18 main reservoirs which can be isolated from the reticulated network if water rationing is required in an emergency.
The estimate of water supply from the reservoirs at 20 litres per person per day is about 30 days supply.
Natural water supplies
Four natural locations have been identified where relatively clean water can be taken in an emergency.
The Council has mobile water treatment plants, generators, pumps and hoses available to treat and supply this water if it is required.
Trained operators are available to run the generators and pumps.
If water from these sources is required, tanker trucks can deliver water to the water storage tanks.