Building Consents

This page provides general information about Building Consents.

Building work and building compliance in New Zealand is managed under the Building Act 2004 and the NZ Building Code.

Building Consent Authority (BCA)

Porirua City Council is a Building Consent Authority (BCA) under the legislation and is responsible for ensuring building compliance with the Building Code.

Any individual, company or other organisation may be registered as a Building Consent Authority.

The Building Code

The New Zealand Building Code sets the functional requirements for buildings and performance criteria with which they must comply. Building work must comply with the code whether or not you require a building consent for it.

You must have a Building Consent and a Resource Consent (if required) before you start any building work.

Links to more building consent information


Porirua City Council links:

External links: