Licences to sell and/or supply Alcohol

Before you sell or supply alcoholic drinks in Porirua, you need to make sure you have the correct alcohol licence.

Types of Licences

Special licence – for sale at specific events or occasions.

On-licence – for sale and consumption of alcohol on a premise e.g. pub, restaurant, BYO restaurant.

Off-licence – for sale and consumption of alcohol off a premise e.g. supermarket, grocery store, bottle store, remote seller.

Club licence – for the sale and consumption of alcohol on a club premise.

Designation of areas

Restricted: Only persons 18 years or over are permitted on the premise.

Supervised: Persons under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Undesignated: Any person may be allowed into the premise.

SASOA Certificate of Compliance (building): These are required for all new premises or applying for a variation due to changes in your business.

Renewals for On, Off and Club Licences need to be submitted 20 or more days before the expiry date. It is the licensee’s responsibility to ensure that the applications are submitted in a timely manner and are completed correctly.

Pre-lodgement checks: phone (04) 237 5089 to make an appointment with the Licensing Inspector.

A licence can only be issued to a company or a named natural person. An alcohol licence cannot be transferred from company to company, a person to another person, conveyance to another conveyance.

Objections to applications

If members of the public or agencies object to your application, you will receive this information and the inspector’s report.

Your application will be forwarded to the District Licensing Committee and you may be required to attend a hearing to give evidence before a final decision is made.