If you’re planning to sell and supply alcohol to the public a licence to sell alcohol is required under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
Most people like to enjoy a drink when socialising, having a meal at a restaurant and whilst celebrating an event. Misuse of alcohol however can affect your health and lead to alcohol related harm. It is Porirua City Council, Police, Public Health and the Porirua Community who have a responsibility to control how alcohol is sold, supplied and consumed to reduce the risk of alcohol related harm to our community. View our Local Alcohol Policy (LAP).
How we assess your application for a licence
We take the following steps before a decision is made.
1. We review the circumstances of your application, including:
- your suitability as a licensee
- the days and times you want to sell alcohol
- whether you sell or provide goods or services besides alcohol
- your proposed host responsibility arrangements
- the design and layout of your premises, etc.
2. We forward your application to the following agencies:
- Public Health
- Alcohol licensing inspector
3. We inspect your premises and assess your host responsibility arrangements.
4. We make a recommendation to the District Licensing Committee to either grant or oppose your application.
For any enquiries phone 04 237 5089 or email: email@example.com
All applications are determined by our District Licensing Committee.